Serve as Integrity Monitors for six not-for-profit homeless shelter providers.
DeLuca Advisory had a contract with the NYC DOI titled “Department of Homeless Services Shelter Provider Integrity Monitorship Engagement.” This contract was entered into in October 2021 for 1 year and extended for an additional year for $2M. The various services performed include risk assessments, audits, due diligence checks and investigations where requested, of NYC-funded not-for-profit organizations providing homeless shelter and social services to the homeless population. This engagement was initiated following the criminal investigation and prosecution of one of these providers and based on the results of a questionnaire provided by NYC DOI to more than 70 providers covering governance, internal controls, conflicts of interest, and other integrity and governance related matters. DeLuca Advisory was requested to audit six of these providers. In total, these organizations had revenues of more than half a billion dollars.
The reviews/audit plans included, but were not limited to the following elements:
- Review organizational governance policies and procedures and make recommendations where appropriate to implement best practices.
- Review policies and procedures, and make recommendations, pertaining to:
- Financial management
- Procurement and vendor selection
- Hiring of new employees
- Complaint, whistleblower, and hotline administration
- Complaint investigation and resolution
- Executive Compensation
- Perform sample audits/testing of financial and procurement records.
- Perform forensic audits where there are red flags of possible fraud, waste, or abuse.